.

Monday, February 7

My $1000 Cushions (yes, that's 3 zeros)

Would you like to see my two new cushions that cost me $1,000?


Aren't they spectacular?  Oh so chic?!?

Worth every penny, right? NOT! :-)


I am not kidding about the price tag, though.  They really did cost me $1,000.

They are actually priced at just under $100 for both at Pier One.  I purchased them for an antique chair that I am going to refinish (you'll see it in a future post).

But, as it turns out, the salesperson at Pier One mis-keyed the total cost when she entered into the debit card machine.  She added an extra zero! As in, $1,000, not $100. That wouldn't be so bad, except that....ummmm....I didn't even notice it!  (She says while bowing head in shame).  Yup, I  walked right out of the store having paid $1000 for them! So sorry to any thrifters and bargain finders out there, I've obviously failed you! I blame my 16-month old twins for my perpetual zombie-like state; if you stick around here, you'll notice that I blame them a lot, hee hee.


So that was last Thursday. 

Today, Monday, the phone rings, and my husband answered.  The convo went a little something like "This is Pier One calling.  We are calling because of the cushions that somebody in your household purchased last Thursday for $1,000."  Husband's heart stops.  All I hear is him say "WHAT?!?!" Haha, I think he REALLY thought I had lost my mind.  I mean, everybody knows about my cushion fetish, but I'll even admit that price tag is more than INSANE, lol.

But being the nice Pier One people they are, they were calling to tell me about their mistake, and to  refund me my $900.  Nice Pier One.

Moral of the story? ALWAYS double check the total on the debit machine before mindlessly pressing "OK" as we so often do.  That number is actually manually entered by the sales clerk (not automatically generated by the register), so there's room for human error. And I'm not sure that all retailers would be as proactive and customer-focused as Pier One .


Now I'm left to wonder, how many other times have I over-paid without realizing it?!?

Well, on the positive side, paying "just" $100 for these two chair cushions now doesn't seem so bad, haha.

Has this ever happened to you?  In other words, pretty please say "yes" and make me feel better about myself!

Until next time, happy decorating double-checking the debit card machine.





Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Terri Steffes said...

This happens to me at Walmart all the time. Problem is, I catch the mistake then walmart makes ME prove it. You were a lucky girl!

February 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home