.

Sunday, January 30

A Bakery Sign and Some Tea Buns

For months, I've been ooh-la-la-ing over the beautiful antique/vintage inspired signs that I've seen on other blogs.  For starters, anything old and distressed makes me swoon.  But I've also got a thing for signs and 'word art'.  For me, nothing adds instant personality to a room like a sign does.

I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not a total stranger to painting and distressing wood (see my Vintage-Inspired EAT letters).  So, I thought I'd give an 'antique' sign a try.  Since my sign was going to hang over my stove in the kitchen, I decided on  "The Roche Family Bakery". 

First, I painted the board (just craft plywood) a deep olive green, and once that was dry, I painted that over with, um, you guessed it, turquoise! Once the second coat was dry, I went over it with a palm sander so that the green started to peek through the blue.

Then it was time for the lettering.

Well, sadly, my Cricut is now dead (that's another post, lol) and I haven't given in and bought a Silhouette yet, so that left me with the 'old-fashioned' option for the letters - stencils! I laid out the stencil letters to ensure they'd fit, and then I applied white paint with the typical stenciling technique. I used a small foam brush and applied it with a light 'pouncing' motion.  Once the letters were dry, I again went over it with the palm sander so that the lettering started to fade out as if the sign had been authentically weathered.  I also distressed the edges, and then applied a brown/sienna glaze to give it more of an aged look.

I just love this colour combination. 

Once my sign was completed and hung, I enjoyed it for a day or so and then I started to feel like a bit of a fraud.  You see, I am not a baker.  I mean like, REALLY, not baker.

I have a beautiful professional grade Kitchen Aid mixer sitting on my counter, but truthfully, all it has really ever seen is the mix from a cake box. I know, I know, it's downright shameful.



The sign just kept staring back at me, beckoning me to bake.  Like 'from scratch' kind of baking.

So, in order to feel better about my new/'old' Bakery Sign, I surely would have to bake something from scratch!  I found a great Raisin Tea Bun recipe, and went out and bought flour and baking powder. (Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame, because, no, I did not have these baking staples in my pantry, lol).   I think I did my grandmother proud.  They turned out YUMMY if I do say so myself!  I could really get into this baking thing!
Yup, I baked from scratch. Here's the proof!

 Until next time, happy decorating baking!

Click here


PS. I'm sharing this project at:







LINKPARTYBUTTON


All Things Heart and Home








Copy Me Challenge




Labels: , ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Terri Steffes said...

Adorable sign!

January 30, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger The Autocrat: Haley said...

Who cares if your not a baker!! LOL The sign looks fabulous!

January 31, 2011 at 12:27 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love the sign...great job!!

January 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I love your sign ~ it is so cute and I love the color!!

January 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Shawna Bates said...

I have been looking to do this SAME thing but didn't even know where to start on making a vintage sign. Thank you SO much for posting this!! You are my inspiration!! :)

February 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Stacy Risenmay said...

Great job! It looks so nice :)

February 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I love the sign! You did a fantastic job!

February 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Taylor Renee said...

I love the color and the aging that you did. Looks amazing!

February 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Serendipity Chic Design said...

I love it Kerri! The colors you are chose are great and the distressing looks so old and natural!

Take care,
Lisa

February 1, 2011 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I think it looks great! I love the colors and maybe with that sign up, you'll be baking a lot more! Thanks for linking up to Gettin' Krafty With It!

February 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

I just love your sign, it turned out great, probably better with the stencil effect :) I am definitely going to have to try one of these signs. I just came over from Gettin your Krafty on and am now a follower.

February 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

This is soooo pretty! I just made a sign using my Silhouette, and used vinyl letters.
But I would rather it look shabby like yours. How would you have done it with that? I thought about using cardstock to make a "stencil" but then I'd have the problem of missing pieces like the center of e's and a's, etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to use my Silhouette, but I looooove it!

February 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Jodi Nelson said...

Loving this sign. Especially the colors.

February 1, 2011 at 9:12 PM  
Anonymous 1 Funky Woman said...

Well dang, a cute sign and some yummy tea buns! Way to go on both! I love that sign and what a great place for it! I have a Bon Appetit sign in the same place but sadly I did not make it! You are way ahead of me!

Megan

February 2, 2011 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger A Whole Lotta Magic said...

Oh, I would LOVE one of these for my kitchen!!!!!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
xo

February 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Visiting from All Things Heart and Home - love this sign! Great job!!

February 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger So Sunny Day said...

What a wonderful post! and the treats you baked look delicious. thank you for such a great post on the process you used to make your sign all weathed. I have been wanting to try something like this and I just can't get the right technique. will try the palm sander this time :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

February 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

It looks amazing! I love all the different colors and the distressing is perfect!

February 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle@ A Full Cottage said...

Wow I love your sign and your tea buns! I think that I may steal your technique for a sign that I have in the works. Maybe you could share your recipe next time?

Please stop by my blog I am having a big giveaway.

:) Michelle

February 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOVE the sign! It adds so much fun and personality to your kitchen. And how funny it made you bake! Hey, whatever works! :)

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

February 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger {northern cottage} said...

I love the chippy graphic texture - and that aqua color is GREAT!

http://northerncottage.blogspot.com

February 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great colors and distressed look! The tea buns look delicious too. Great job!
Laura

http://lauranell.com

February 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Lucydesignsart.com said...

This is gorgeous! I have a thing for signs and love this!

February 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM  
Blogger Heaven's Walk said...

I'm learning more about my own sign addiction as I spend more time surfing around everyone's blogs. I think I need to make one myself. lol! LOVELY job on your sign!! I just love the distressing and the colors you chose! :)

xoxo laurie

February 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger René said...

Baker or not, I love your little sign!

-Rene

February 6, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Pamma said...

Love this and love the colors! Very nice.
~Pam

February 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger lauren@warmandfuzzy said...

I love this I am putting it on my Feb to do list on my blog. Come on over and say Hi.

www.warmfuzzypurpleandgold.blogspot.com

February 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home