.

Tuesday, January 25

"Something Mommy Made You": DIY Nursery Artwork!

Click here










I was looking back through some pictures the other day, and came across some that I took while assembling a piece of art for my twin boys' nursery while I was pregnant.

My sweet boys!
(They're now 15 months old.  This pic was taken when they were 6 months. Aren't they sweeeeeeet?!? I know, I am biased!)

OK back to the project.

Must. Stay. On. Track. ;-)


That was pre blog days, so I'm not even sure why I took these step by step pics; perhaps I was thinking I'd scrapbook them some day?  (She says while rolling over in laughter!)  I was an avid scrapbooker when my 6-year old daughter was younger, but this twins' thing is a whole other ballgame!

I thought I'd share the little tutorial here, as I know how expensive it can be to buy large pieces for a child's room. I know, because I searched high  and low for a piece with 'mod' elephants (to match the room), but I found nothing large scale that was afforable. The space I was trying to fill was above a 6-foot wide dresser so it couldn't be wimpy. Plus, I have to admit, there's just something extra special about hanging "something mommy made" especially for them.

The room was inspired by Carter's Elephant Stitch bedding  which has the cutest little 'mod' elephants, so I tried to keep the nursery decor more modern than traditional.  However, I am definitely a sucker for traditional, so you'll note that my mod touches are subtle (mostly in shapes and graphical patterns rather than furnishings). 

You can see more of the nursery decor at HGTV by clicking here.

Anyway, back to the project. Must.Stay.Focused. :-)

I had some vinyl pieces leftover from this customized wall quote that I designed for their wall. (I designed it via thesimplestencil.com and vinylwallart.com, but if you have a Silhouette, even better).


At first, I thought about using the extra pieces in several smaller 8x10-ish frames, and creating a gallery wall over the dresser.

But then it dawned on me - why not piece scrapbooking paper together and create a larger piece?


So off to Michael's I trotted (yes I mentioned Michael's again!), and I bought a large 36x24 glass frame. I think it was regularly priced at about $50-ish, but I got it half price for about $25. (They always have great coupons, so don't buy anything there at regular price!). This size was perfect because six sheets of standard 12x12 scrapbooking paper would fit perfectly in the frame.

Next, I 'shopped' my rather large scrapbooking stash for six sheets of paper that would match the growing mod theme in the nursery.  I found some awesome graphical papers in greens, blues and browns that had a 70s kinda feel; just what I was looking for.

Next, I laid out the papers in a pattern that I liked, and my daughter and I applied the vinyl art which included the babies' names and a few little elephants. Soooo easy it's almost embarassing.

I used doubled sided scrapbooking tape to adhere each piece of 12x12 paper to the 36x24 sheet that came inside the frame.

Final step? Simply to slide the sheet back into the frame.


And voila, an awesome custom piece for a fraction of what you'd pay a retailer.



 My daughter tells her baby brothers that it's special because "it's something that mommy made you".



Until next time, happy decorating.



Psst...I'm sharing this at



LINKPARTYBUTTON

Tute yourself tuesday red and white






Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Suzette said...

Love this idea! Can't wait to try it!

January 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

So, so cute! I will have to try this. I love those elephants- so adorable! Your daughter is right about it being special because mommy made it. Thanks for linking up!

January 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger maleahbliss said...

Oh this is SO CUTE! I love elephants. :)
I'd love for you to link up to my new linky party, Tute {Yourself} Tuesday.
LittleEme.blogspot.com

January 26, 2011 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Kerri said...

Thanks girls!

And, it's now posted at Tute Yourself Tuesday, as requested! Thanks for asking!

January 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Serendipity Chic Design said...

That is great Kerri....Thanks for posting that picture of the twins too...Way to cute! Makes me want to have another baby!

Take care,
Lisa

January 26, 2011 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger DANA said...

Voting has begun for Best of January 2011! Be sure to grab your button to help gain votes!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/01/let-voting-begin-best-of-best-poll.html

January 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

Umm...I want to live in this room. Seriously. Swap out the handsome colors for pink, add more elephants, and call me your roommate. This is LOVELY. I will be featuring this tomorrow at Sugar and Dots!

February 9, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home