.

Wednesday, January 5

My Winter Mantel

When you decorate for Christmas in aqua, white and silver, the transition to winter decorating is pretty easy (and not to mention, inexpensive).  All it took was a little editing of my 'Winter Wonderland' Christmas mantel to create a winter vignette.





The trick to creating a winter mantel is to pare down, and remove anything screams Christmas - like any dressy ribbons, Christmas bulbs, trees, and reindeer.  Once those things are packed away, you can take a step back and decide what else can stay and what can go.

In my case, I also removed all of the silver and white glittery twigs and sticks that created the volume on my Christmas mantel.  Even though these are pretty holiday-neutral, en masse they seemed a little too fussy and  over-the-top than the look I was going for.  So in the box they went. Ultimately, I ended up stripping the whole thing down to just the string of glittery-adorned white lights, and my winter wreath.


Next, I started the process of building it back up again.  First, I knew I wanted to add the three chubby mason jars that I purchased at Dollarama for just $3 each. (Steal!) I filled them with faux snow (nothing else - just loved the simplicity of it) and placed them in the middle of the mantel.  The string of lights behind them provides a beautiful glow, especially when the room is dark!



Next, I added in a bit of whimsy with the "All you need..." print, as a little prelude to the season's highlight, Valentine's Day.  I had seen one similar to this somewhere on the web and LOVED it, and it was simple to recreate.  I already had the glass frame on hand.



Finally, for visual interest, I added in a bit more colour with the turquoise trees that were part of my Christmas stash, and texure with the white pine cones.  In addition, I pulled in the DIY snowflake garland that I had made for my master bedroom during the Christmas season.




I am loving the final result.  The room feels wintery and cozy.




 My DIY wintery jar lanterns which I made for Christmas also stayed, and they are now on the console table next to the mantel.  I added in a little mossy grapevine wreath (also from Christmas), and voila, my mission was complete!
 




So there you have it.

Before I sign off, here's a little before and after of how I transitioned my mantel from Christmas to Winter. 

Until next time, happy decorating!




Click here!


Linking to these lovely blogs:
All Things Heart and Home





















Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


The Winter Mantel Linky Party at






Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Looks lovely...I love how the lights shine through the glass jars. Happy winter :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

January 5, 2011 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Kerri said...

Thanks so very much guys!

January 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Very beautiful! I love the colors you chose!

January 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful display. I love the jars with snow in them. Adds that extra sparkle. Thanks for sharing this lovely winter display. ~~Sherry~~

January 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger Karie said...

Beautiful mantle. Love it. Like the sparkling look. Thanks for sharing.

January 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Korrie@RedHenHome said...

It looks great! I *love* your glass frame!

January 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ I love how you have decorated your mantle for winter- it is beautiful!! Love how pretty and serene it looks! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

January 8, 2011 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Lovely! I'm currently having a winter mantel linky and would be honored if you linked up. http://www.thestoriesofa2z.com/2011/01/winter-mantel-linky-party.html

January 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Southern Fried Gal said...

Love the whimsy in your design. Those glass frames are fab and the love sign rocks. Thanks for sharing!

January 9, 2011 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger His girl said...

Your mantel looks lovely! Blessings

January 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM  
Blogger Lori @ Dining Delight said...

What a great transition from Christmas to Winter! The simple jars filled with faux snow and lights behind just "make" it! The touch of teal is unexpected and pleasing!

DD

January 10, 2011 at 1:50 AM  
Blogger Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

Beautiful! My mantel is sadly bare. This is the first house we've ever lived in that had one, and I've recently found craft love. Now it's my goal to have that mantel seasonally decked out with awesomeness!

January 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Very lovely. I love the colors - very calm and peaceful! It's beautiful.

January 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Really like your mantel. Has given me some inspiration. Thanks!

January 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Amy Kinser said...

I think your winter mantel looks beautiful. Great transition.

Visiting with you from Beth's.

January 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love it!!! Love the snow in the jars. Love the turquoise trees. Love the sign (I need to make me one). Heck, I love everything!

January 10, 2011 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I love it!!! Your mantel is perfectly winter.

January 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Kerri said...

Thank you for your comments, moucho appreciated!

January 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Stacey said...

http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com/

Your mantel is beautiful...I am inspired to redo mine tonight - out with the pine twigs and in with a new look! Thank you for the ideas... Stacey :o)

January 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love it!

January 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

You did a beautiful job, Kerri~Lynn! I love the snow in the jar and the pretty trees. I left out a lot from my Christmas mantel, too. I like the lanterns on your end table, too!

Have a wonderful day! :-)

XO,
Jane

January 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Hi, I just found you through All Things Heart and Home! What a great Winter scape you've got going on! I think since there is so much snow going on outside, I going to keep the inside snow free. But this is a great idea for the dreary month of January! Looking forward to seeing what other crafty, decorating things you do!

I'm a decorating addict also!

Megan

http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

January 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love love love your mantel! Everything is so beautiful and even though I'm tired of the snow outside, I love how it looks inside! ;-)

January 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home